Linda Mama is run by NHIF and was started in 2006 by the government of Kenya to enable pregnant women to deliver free of charge. The programme is free health insurance that targets women mostly from slums and rural areas who cannot afford any medical cover including NHIF to cater for their maternity services.
Linda Mama cover is available in all public hospitals and some private hospitals only.
Benefits Of Linda Mama.
Below are services that Linda Mama cover.
- Pregnancy Care
- Antenatal Care ( 4 Antenatal visits )
- Delivery in hospital either normal or Caesarean section.
- Post delivery care.
- Postnatal Care. ( 4 Postnatal Visits )
- Outpatient baby care.
Registration Of Linda Mama Requirements.
All pregnant women that are Kenyan citizens are eligible to benefit from the programme.
To be eligible for Linda mama benefits :
- One must be a pregnant woman and above 18 years. Be in possession of a national identity card and antenatal care records.
- Those without ID cards or guardians are registered using antenatal care records.
- For expectant mothers below 18 years, they can register using their guardian’s ID and antenatal care records.
Dial *155# from your mobile phone.
Select your language ( English or Kiswahili )
Choose Free Maternity
select who is doing the registration i.e beneficiary, guardian, hospital
enter your ID number
Enter first name and last name.
Enter the year of birth
Confirm Linda Mama’s registration and click OK.
After registration, you will receive Linda Mama’s membership number text message.
2. NHIF service centres.
3. Huduma Centres
4. NHIF registration Portal
5. NHIF contracted health facilities.
Verification And Activation of Linda Mama
A pregnant woman needs to visit an NHIF-accredited hospital to confirm pregnancy including the gestation stage. She will present her Linda Mama membership number and ID/guardians ID or antenatal card for verification and activation.
Linda Mama expe\ires after one year upon activation in a health facility.